How To Make a Quick Clay Owl

Pin It
Wow, what a week this has been. It is not that anything different happened this week it is just that I didn't have the energy and felt completely scattered all week. This ever happen to you? For example, I packed the prize boxes, of course forgetting to put in a nice note to all the winners, then I couldn't mentally gear myself up for: juggling two kids, 5 boxes, rain, and most likely a line at the Post Office. So the boxes drove around with me all week. I finally completed the task yesterday...it wasn't even that terrible of a task. I hope you all love your cards! Sorry for the delay.

I also wanted to acknowledge all of the people who entered my first giveaway! I read all your comments and appreciate what you had to say. It seems like you are all looking for easy crafts for kids...my specialty! So, keep writing to me! I love hearing about your ideas, suggestions and adventures in crafting!

Here is a quick how to I came up with while Lu was making beads. This would be fun for grade school/middle school kids.

Start with a ball (we used Model Magic.)

Smoosh to make circle

Use marker cap to make UUUUUU's on belly

Fold sides in

Fold top down - pinch ears a bit

Use marker cap to make eyes

Use butter knife or similar to make beak -
Finally you can play with a bit by smooshing sides a bit to make owl more round.

Let dry and paint. We used Model Magic here but any clay or modeling clay would work.

Click here for a variation.

28 comments:

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Aww, so cute! I'll be linking.

Unknown said...

This is pure brilliance!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

I love it! We'll be doing these after a trip to the zoo... thanks!

Nesa said...

This is totally adorable! Simple and easy to make, i thought it would involving sticking lots of diffrent part. I be trying it once i back from work. Thanks.

***Sharon*** said...

I am going to try and make this sometime this week! Thank you so much!

Katie said...

I love how you used something commonly found in any home with kids, a marker cap!

Amanda Pedro said...

thanks for another great idea! You can see what my kids did with the clay animals here.
http://latenightstamper.blogspot.com/2009/05/clay-animals.html

I love your blog!!!!

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

Love this project and your blog!! I used to make "rainbow" fish with my kindergarten students this way using model magic and a marker to make the scale patterns and eyes. Then we'd paint it with watercolor when they were dry and seal it with clear shelac.

Jenny said...

That owl is so cute! We will have to make these sometime.

Abbie said...

Okay, I have to say the exact same thing as everyone else....it is sooooo cute. I just love it. I usually like doing the crafts, but finding a home for the crafts....well, they usually end up in the shoe box. But I can totally see this one going on the wall! thanks for the wonderful craft!
Oh, and thanks for posting my Featured Creative Organizer button!
Abbie

Khris said...

ohh how cute...love them...I have put a link to this tutorial on my freebie blog if that's okay...I haven't made anything with clay before...so is this polymer clay? hugs Khris

I Purr-Furr to Craft said...

love them!!!!

Unknown said...

We loved this idea and made some fun clay owls. Then my six year old fella came up with the great idea to use the same technique to make owl cookies! We used gingerbread dough, candy corn for the beak and peanut butter M & Ms for the eyes. Super Cute!

Claudia crochet mágico said...

hola quiero agradecerte el tutorial de este buho, me encantó hacerlo!!!

Jessie said...

I'm a little late to this party, but I was looking for easy things kids could do at our Wildlife Center events! And, do you mind if I post it on my blog next week?

Anonymous said...

So very cool and easy to make!!!! Thank you!!!!

Anonymous said...

This is so cute and simple to make. I’m sure to give this a go one day with my daughter at the weekend.

Stoke Plumbers

Mascottblog said...

Lovely !!! My mother collects owls , I am going to try this ; hope it is as simple as it seems !!! Thank you !!!!

Anne Farrell said...

I did this project recently with a bunch of students. You can see them at my blog: http://useyourcolouredpencils.blogspot.com/2011/09/clay-owls.html

Thanks for the idea - simple and effective!

inspiredmontessori said...

So easy and cute. Come over and see our clay owl project in our clay folder!

Anonymous said...

That is really cute and easy!

Darlene said...

So cute! And in the marketplace, Owls are big this year.

Thanks for sharing.

Nadia (WithGlitteringEyes.blogspot.com) said...

OMGosh! I found this via Pinterest and we made these at my daughter's birthday party as a kid craft for the guests. It was a total hit. I put it on my blog with a link back to your post and the name of your blog!

This is my post: http://www.withglitteringeyes.com/2012/02/whooooo-is-having-birthday-owl-tell-you.html

megan said...

I see a spring break project in our future.... probably going to salt dough for these...

Bron said...

I have just found this and have made a batch for some thank you's i needed...thanks for sharing I will be sure to link back. xx

Laffayette lizard lover103563 said...

When I made this I added feat and UUUUUUs on the wing but they were gently and softly added.!haha I did better then you on the owl

Chloe grice said...

This is such a fab tutorial: My two under-fives just made their first clay owls in about 30 seconds! Genius!! Thank you xx ps I've Pinned this, hope you don't mind me sharing your brilliance :-)

Unknown said...

Hi! Just though I would share my creation with polymer clay that your post inspired me to do..
Miwako!
http://sewmoteitbee.blogspot.com.au/2013/12/meet-miwako.html
I LoVe owls so much so was very excited to find this share.
Thank you and Bless!

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs