I'm Legit: Adoption Video




I had the unique opportunity to meet Zara H. Phillips and Daryl "DMC" McDaniels and to be an extra in their video, I'm Legit. Both Zara and DMC are adoptees. Zara is a singer, songwriter, author and director of a short documentary called, Roots Unknown. Daryl is well known for being in the rap group Run DMC. He is also extremely active in the adoption community. The documentary, DMC: An Adoption Story tells his adoption story. To find out more information you can goto www.zarahphillips.com or www.me-dmc.com.

"I'm starting my life on chapter two..."

The song addresses the fact that in many states adoptees have no legal right to their birth records.  Many states have groups working to pass legislation to allow adoptees this right. To find out more information regarding the legislation visit NJCARE.

BEING AN EXTRA

It was a freezing day in Newark, NJ and a group of adoptees and those touched by adoption, ranging in age and race, huddled together to keep warm as we waited for our part as extras. We passed the time by sharing our stories and trying to stay warm.



Mama King with Linnea (the daughter of an adoptee) and Ann (an adoptee)

Although I am in the background for two seconds and am blurry (I'm wearing a pink scarf near the end as Daryl walks by me) I had a wonderful experience that day, despite the freezing tempuratures. My soul was warmed by the wonderful men and women I met and their stories. There is something so intimate about meeting another adoptee. You may not know the names of their children or the town they grew up in but you do know their loss, you feel their unspoken heartache. I left feeling inspired by Zara and DMC and the work they do. Enjoy the video! Don't blink or you'll miss me :-)

I'm Legit


8 comments:

Amy said...

it is amazing to find love and family..

* elizabeth * said...

I saw you!
And that's a great song and such a moving video. It made me cry!

M for Short said...

Very powerful. "The truth will set me free." I hope the video hepls generate positive results in adoptee rights.

Beth- the mama bee said...

good thing you were wearing a pink a scarf. I spotted you though :)

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

I saw you!! What a great and powerful song. I bet it was an amazing experience to be part of the video!!

a Tonggu Momma said...

My cousin (who is adopted) always told me that adoptees make up their very own extended family, as so much of their stories are so similar. I'm glad you had this experience!

Kate S said...

Wow! Thank you for sharing this. I am the sister of an adoptee. My sister came home to us 27 years ago from Korea at the age of 5 and is the best thing that ever happened to me!
I feel sad for her often that she will never know her biological family.
She now has 2 children who are both adopted from Korea and are the light of my life!
Adoption is such a special gift.

Katie said...

Hi Kim: I wanted to let you know I am posting this video on the 15th on my blog. I linked to you. I found this song incredibly moving and it brought up some feelings that had laid dormant for awhile. Tears were streaming down my face the first time I heard it. It was too emotional for me to blog about it for awhile but now I am ready to share it. We're leaving tomorrow afternoon for Florida and Disney World. I'll be back in just over a week and will catch up with you then♥

I did see you! How fun!

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs