Repurpose Melissa & Doug Wooden Tray


We really like Melissa & Doug products but don't you find it a bit frustrating that they come packaged in these lovely wooden trays with NO TOPS! It makes the tray completely useless. I end up storing the pieces in old baby wipes containers.

So ever the craft pack rat I hold onto them imagining I will someday decoupage them into pretty picture frames/shadow boxes. Well, that day just isn't going to happen. 

When the girls got their recent M&D Wooden Dress Up Dolls for Christmas from Grammy I grabbed my glue gun and BAM, 5 minutes later I had a display shelf for all of Lu's tiny treasures (fairies, squinkies, shells...) I will hang it low so she can curate her collections as she sees fit.

I simply glue gunned the ribbon to the back and then fearful it wasn't strong enough added extra strong packing taped on top. I then glue gunned a shim (which is a thin piece of wood that is wider on one side then the other) to the bottom. This helped tip the boxes bottom back against the wall so the items would not fall out so easily.

10 comments:

Ticia said...

Oh, I so need to do this with those boxes. I keep doing the same thing.

MaryAnne said...

What a great idea! Those wooden boxes with tops drive me nuts, too - they seem so wasteful. I'm glad you found a good use for this one!

Dawn said...

oh, great idea! i agree with you on the no covers-thanks for the baby wipe container idea-i have magnetic doll clothes all over my house!

Beth- the mama bee said...

great idea. we have that same doll set. I love it! We're doing it today!

Kristine said...

Girls have so many cute little toys as they get older. What a lovely way of storing and displaying them.

amy said...

That's brilliant! I've been wondering how to use those things too!

The other day I finally put them all in a desk drawer to separate the clutter. I might just have to yank them out though and do something fun like this!

Unknown said...

I was wondering if I was the only one that was frustrated by the lack of lids on their toys!

https://jennoreilly.wordpress.com/

Beth- the mama bee said...

I went to make one of these and Bee had another idea. It's a drawer organizer too.
http://mamabeefromthehive.blogspot.com/2011/01/plan-b.html

Lots of Fun with My FaMiLy said...

I was just reading From the Hive and she referenced this post. I had to check out such a clever lady ;)

I'm now your newest follower...and I'm going to repurpose my M&D box tomorrow after rescuing it from the recycling bin.
Thanks
Tish
http://lotsoffunwithmyfamily.blogspot.com

Kristine said...

I'm back again - I've been thinking that this would be a cool prop for pretend shops. The girls could stock it with all kinds of things to make different shops, bakery, pet shop, chemist... I think I might work on something similar for my daughters birthday.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs